An article that does what it says on the tin – in reverse order, here’s my top 10 things to do in Budapest!
10) Admire the neo-classical architecture of St Stephen’s Basilica.
9) Appreciate the statue complex at Heroes’ Square.
8) Explore Margaret Island, the 2.5km long island in the middle of the River Danube, with its peaceful parkland and Japanese garden.
7) Sample Hungarian delicacies at the Great Market Hall.
6) Pay your respects at the ‘Shoes on the Danube Bank’, a poignant memorial to the 3500 people who lost their lives in Budapest in the Second World War, made up of 60 pairs of cast iron shoes.
5) Drink at a ‘ruin bar’ (a bar established in an abandoned building) such as Szimpla Kert.
4) Cross from the West (Buda) to the East (Pest) via the Chain Bridge, the city’s superb suspension bridge which opened in 1849.
3) Visit the fairy-tale setting of the Fisherman’s Bastion, in Buda Castle, for incredible views across Budapest from its lookout towers.
2) Relax by day in the thermal waters of the Szechenyi Baths – or party there by night!
1) Stroll (or jog) alongside the River Danube in the early morning and take in the view of the national Parliament Building.
If you’ve enjoyed my 10 things to do in Budapest, you may also enjoy my top 10 things to do in Krakow!