Given the popularity of my Mum’s blog piece on Toronto and Niagara (check it out here) she has returned with another piece for her top 10 things to do in Salzburg! Read on to find out her top recommendations below!
10) Stroll around the beautiful Altstadt (Old Town) to admire the buildings such as Nonnberg Abbey, that featured in the film ‘The Sound of Music’.
9) Visit the Baroque Salzburg Cathedral.
8) Wander around the chic Getreidegasse shopping area.
7) Sample Austrian cuisine and try some schnitzel, dumplings and strudel.
6) Visit the stately Residenzplatz; the largest square in Salzburg.
5) Go to Mozart’s Geburtshaus (birthplace) and see the room where the genius composer entered the world.
4) Take a walk around Mirabell Palace and it’s gardens, where the Von Trapp children sang with Maria in ‘The Sound of Music,’ and see the stunning views of Fortress Hohensalzburg, situated high upon Festungsberg.
3) Climb the stairs or take the lift for the Monchsberg walk; with spectacular views over the Old Town.
2) Take the steep walk or the funicular to Fortress Hohensalzburg; one of the largest medieval castles in Europe, with panoramic views.
1) On the outskirts of the city, take a trip to the mountain of Untersberg (1972m) and ride in a cable car with breathtaking views over the mountainous landscape surrounding Salzburg. In the winter months, head for the warmth of the log cabin on the mountain top and have a very welcome gluhwein.